Learn how to free yourself from anxieties with these 8 easy steps
Updated: Nov 1, 2018
1. Deep Belly Breathing
This works while standing or sitting as well, but If possible lay on your back and place your hands on your belly. Breathe in and feel your belly fill up with air and rise, slowly breath out as you feel your belly move towards the floor. Try adding to counting. "I breath in 1, I breath out 1, I breath in 2, I breath out 2." For guided breathing techniques to reduce anxiety, click here.
2. Spend time in nature: even a simple 5 min walk outside
3. Talk to someone who is calm and reassuring. Often it helps simply be reminded from an outside source that everything is going to be okay.
4. Crawl around on the floor on your hands and knees. This is an OT strategies to provide proprioceptive input along with bilateral coordination to relax and integrate the nervous system.
5. Avoid caffeine: Some of us, especially Vata types are extra sensitive to caffeine and when we are already prone to anxiety, caffeine can have an extra anxiety elevating effect.
6. Try Yoga: Attend a gentle, restorative, relaxing, or yin yoga class
7. Ground yourself into the earth: Feel your feet on the floor and imagine you are a tree growing roots into the earth and feel the earth sending you calming energy.
8. Sip herbal teas: Chamomile, Tulsi (Holy Basil), Rose, Peppermint, can all be calming.